Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Beware: YUCK-O!!!

As most of my close friends and family know, I am trying to move towards vegetarianism. I know, I know....where in the world did that come from? We're talking about the girl whose own mother gets a kick out of her description of food and has always said I should star in food commercials because no one could sell a food product or recipe better than me. I'm still that girl, I'm just trying to make better choices in that arena! I was always floored by vegetarians. I could not understand why anyone would want to eliminate any food from their diet ( except for beets ). BUT, I have begun to do some research and am making some lifestyle changes to improve my health and well being! I'm certainly not trying to push my (work in progress) lifestyle on anyone but I just want the people who matter to me in my life to be educated about what they are ingesting! In case you've been under a rock lately, I need to inform you that the F.D.A. has decided that food from cloned animals and their offspring is safe to eat and they will be offering it in grocery stores in the near future. The NY Times noted that it is likely consumers won't be privvy to what they are eating - cloned meat most likely won't have to be labeled as "cloned" or "genetically manipulated". WHAT!?!?!?!
Again - I'm not preaching anything...I certainly haven't made any extreme moves myself. However, I am definitely researching and eliminating foods from my diet which seem a little shady.
If you're interested in learning more for yourself regarding cloned meat, slaughterhouse practices, organic food products and a vegetarian lifestyle you should check out these information sources :
1.) The book : Skinny B***h. Quite a harsh read...Rated R for vulgarity and graphic content!
2.) The book: Slaughterhouse. Hmmmmm..... prepare yourself for the reality of the meat industry if you choose to read this one!
3.) GoVeg.com - you'll never want your kids to each chicken nuggets again!
4.) Fast Food Nation - Disclaimer : I've never seen this movie myself but it comes highly recommended from my favorite vegetarian friend. I can't wait to see it for myself.

& remember, the bottom line is ...... You Are What You EAT!!! Love Ya'll ! Jamie

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

First and foremost you ought to be ashamed of yourself that you came to Mboro and I was not aware of it!!!!!!!!!! Secondly, amen to the vegan. Now do you see why I dont eat meat. I am working on the chicken area. The whole cloning thing I think we do it for me. That makes me nauseous!
Love you

Anonymous said...

Well that is why we only eat Venison I don't think any scientist will be cloning deer anytime soon. No hormones either well except for those god given ones. I think the 4 we have in the freezer will last us this year. Ok so we do eat chicken but more power to ya I just could never live without meat.

Oh and for the veggies you should have your own garden like us and then you don't have to worry about all those pestisides either.

and what is this I read about you being in the Boro????

LUV YA ALWAYS
Joy